isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Over the hog line
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Over the hog line

A question for our curling wizards. If during a game you notice a player on the opposition letting go of the rock over the hogline do you:

1) kick off the rock and yell at them
2) have the front end stand at the side and stare intently at the release?
3) speak to their skip

Not sure what to do but it is starting to cause some controversy in our league. Too bad clubs don't invest in rocks that light up!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-12 09:05AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Re: Over the hog line

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
A question for our curling wizards. If during a game you notice a player on the opposition letting go of the rock over the hogline do you:

3) speak to their skip

Not sure what to do but it is starting to cause some controversy in our league. Too bad clubs don't invest in rocks that light up!

Personally CB, I'd beat 'em over the head with my broom .Seriously though, if it's an ongoing problem I would mention it to their skip. If they're any kind of sportsperson at all, they shouldn't have a problem. Actually, the sweepers should be honest enough to fess up when it happens. If that doesn't resolve the issue and it's one particular team/curler, and an ongoing issue,you likely aren't the only team experiencing the problem. I'd talk to other teams and your league rep. Whew.....that was rather long winded.

It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, bevelled on the belly and a handle a human being can hold. And it may have no practical purpose in itself but it is a repository of human possibility and if it's handled just right, it will exact the kind of poetry...
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 04-03-12 at 01:33PM

Old Post 04-03-12 09:44AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Hitting Paint

Curling is almost always a self-officiated sport. Unless a team declares its own violation, nothing can occur during a game.

The most I would suggest, during a game, if repeated violations of some kind are occurring, is for the non-offending team's vice to ask the offending team's vice to please take care with whatever aspect of the rules is being violated. If the vice is the problem, talk to the skip. I might even reserve this for really disruptive things and not hog-line matters.

For hog line violations that occur repeatedly over a longer period, out of the dozens of people who play in and organize your league, surely there is someone who is capable of bringing it up in a tactful manner with them.

Old Post 04-03-12 09:46AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Over the hog line

quote:
3) speak to their skip

I choose 2).
Lead or second stands on guard for every throw where the thrower commits hogline violations, if it is important to the team that this stop. Really, it's just a psychological tactic. Nothing more is required.

If the other team is snide and ignores this, just stand there all the time, every time. There's not much more you can do in club play. Sentinel can also say out loud. politely, that it was released over the hog.

Other choice: 4). Ignore it and don't let it get into your head. Focus on your own game.

Last edited by nelski on 04-03-12 at 09:59AM

Old Post 04-03-12 09:48AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Good ideas everyone. Personally, I have found #2 works well. This is a young team that does it. Our club has allowed juniors to play with adults this year. Of course there is grumbling amongst the oldtimers about them.

However, best to just play the game.

Old Post 04-03-12 10:13AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: Re: Over the hog line

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Other choice: 4). Ignore it and don't let it get into your head. Focus on your own game.

This. I've seen too many instances of hogline vigilantes acting like jerks on the ice, and in most cases it's not warranted as a thrower is close but not over on release. You have no recourse as an accuser during a game to remove stones/place stones or anything like that, so why get your panties in a bunch?

Another option would be to mention it afterwards, either when shaking hands, or better yet up in the lounge afterwards. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff like releasing it 6 inches over.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.71.46.146

Old Post 04-03-12 10:18AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tubby
Swing Artist

I am a fan of keeping your mouth shut and winning the game.

Old Post 04-03-12 11:01AM
tubby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tubby Click here to Send tubby a Private Message Find more posts by tubby Add tubby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Over the hog line

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

This. I've seen too many instances of hogline vigilantes acting like jerks on the ice, and in most cases it's not warranted as a thrower is close but not over on release. You have no recourse as an accuser during a game to remove stones/place stones or anything like that, so why get your panties in a bunch?

Another option would be to mention it afterwards, either when shaking hands, or better yet up in the lounge afterwards. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff like releasing it 6 inches over.

For the most part, that's good advice,unless it's a repetative issue. The only time I had to deal with it, I first had my sweepers watch for a couple of ends to make sure it wasn't marginal, it was obvious and was happening repeatedly. I mentioned it to the skip. He was okay, and said he'd mention it to the player, end of story, no more problem. Might not always be that easy, but if it was my team, I'd want to be told, so as not to create any hard feelings.

It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, bevelled on the belly and a handle a human being can hold. And it may have no practical purpose in itself but it is a repository of human possibility and if it's handled just right, it will exact the kind of poetry...
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 04-03-12 11:09AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackFlash
Swing Artist

quote:
Good ideas everyone. Personally, I have found #2 works well. This is a young team that does it. Our club has allowed juniors to play with adults this year. Of course there is grumbling amongst the oldtimers about them.

However, best to just play the game.

Believe it or not the OCALA considers 2 intimidation and almost as bad as a hog line violation, the last time I tried the "sheriff" defense.

Old Post 04-03-12 01:07PM
JackFlash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JackFlash Find more posts by JackFlash Add JackFlash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by JackFlash
Believe it or not the OCALA considers 2 intimidation and almost as bad as a hog line violation, the last time I tried the "sheriff" defense.

Monitoring a hog line is not a rule infraction. Check. Confirm whether it is true. Let the team know in case they are not aware.

Also, when I play lead or second, I often stand near the throwers hogline so I can step behind the thrower to watch the line of the rock. It is a valid and useful position for a front end to stand. It is not intimidation, it is sensible play.

Old Post 04-03-12 01:48PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregW
Hitting Paint

From the rules of curling for general play:
Rule 7 (1) (d) The non delivering team members shall not take any position or cause such motion that
would obstruct, interfere with or distract any member of the delivering team.

Option 2 from the earlier post could certainly be construed to be in violation of this rule.

That being said I have been accused in the past of holding on too long so I should probably recuse myself from this discussion.

Old Post 04-03-12 03:00PM
GregW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregW Click here to Send GregW a Private Message Find more posts by GregW Add GregW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Interesting but I was under the impression that when you aren't throwing your rock you should be standing between the hoglines.

Useful information from everyone.

Old Post 04-03-12 03:11PM
GregW
Hitting Paint

quote:
Interesting but I was under the impression that when you aren't throwing your rock you should be standing between the hoglines.

No, you are right. Between the hoglines gives you about seventy feet of room to choose from. Right on the Hogline "staring intently" could be distracting was the point I was making.

Old Post 04-03-12 04:50PM
GregW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregW Click here to Send GregW a Private Message Find more posts by GregW Add GregW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackFlash
Swing Artist

quote:

You should! That's why the OCA interprets standing at or straddling the hog line as intimidation

Old Post 04-03-12 04:52PM
JackFlash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JackFlash Find more posts by JackFlash Add JackFlash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomsephton
Knee-Slider

For what it's worth and if all else fails and the skip/vice ignore your common sense approach - do it right back at them. A taste of their own medicine will either straighten them right up or at least lead to a post game discussion in the bar. In either case, don't let them get into your head and put you off your own game. Gotta luv gamesmanship.

Old Post 04-03-12 04:56PM
tomsephton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tomsephton Click here to Send tomsephton a Private Message Find more posts by tomsephton Add tomsephton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

How about on your own shots, slide all the way to the far end and just place the rock where you want it... gets your point across in dramatic fashion

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.26.169.175

Old Post 04-03-12 05:18PM
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
How about on your own shots, slide all the way to the far end and just place the rock where you want it... gets your point across in dramatic fashion

During practice, I have tried this. It is way more difficult than it sounds!

Old Post 04-03-12 05:41PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

During practice, I have tried this. It is way more difficult than it sounds!

Not if you're Jeff Stoughton!!!!

Actually, if another team is offending at more than one position, and ignoring all hints about infractions then violating yourself, and doing it more profusely than your opponent might be the only way to make your point. After all, its only a club game - there's no money on the line, no auto-berths at the Brier or Scotts. Just a 8 or 9 end slog!

Old Post 04-03-12 05:48PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yikkity
Knee-Slider

I have seen this the other way, where an elderly team were complaining to me (skip) that my junior front end were hogging the stones repeatedly. I know they weren't, but these young guys had been taught to follow through on release in the handshake position and so it looks, to some, as though they still had the stone in their grasp through the hogline. I told my front end to release and raise their hand straight up to the side of their head before the hogline for the remainder of that particular game, which sorted the perceived problem. However, if it had been an important game, should I have asked my front end to change their delivery release just because the opposition can't see properly or should I have ignored the complaint?

Old Post 04-03-12 05:51PM
Yikkity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Yikkity Click here to Send Yikkity a Private Message Find more posts by Yikkity Add Yikkity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Yikkity
I have seen this the other way, where an elderly team were complaining to me (skip) that my junior front end were hogging the stones repeatedly. I know they weren't, but these young guys had been taught to follow through on release in the handshake position and so it looks, to some, as though they still had the stone in their grasp through the hogline. I told my front end to release and raise their hand straight up to the side of their head before the hogline for the remainder of that particular game, which sorted the perceived problem. However, if it had been an important game, should I have asked my front end to change their delivery release just because the opposition can't see properly or should I have ignored the complaint?

No, you shouldn't have to alter their deliveries. Especially, if they're in the right, as you indicate. However, the best way to do this, is to select a neutral arbitrator, another club member or knowledgeable curler to stand at the hog for an end or two. If this person is respected he'll report to the complaining team that they have nothing to worry about!!!

Old Post 04-03-12 06:00PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

This is ridiculous. Just focus on your own game anyways. It doesn't help them anyways hanging on to it that long. Tell the old people to focus on their own game and make more shots rather then trying to make excuses.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.63.250

Old Post 04-03-12 06:03PM
Harvey Hacksmasher

My 2 cents here is to just let it go especially if we are talking league play here, I mean really in the grand scheme of things it does not matter.
Kids are pushing the hog line all the time cause they can and if they don't figure out how to control it they will pay the price when it matters in an important event, not a league.
Even the big boys and girls are all over the hog line during the cash season because they can, once they get to a CCA event with the magic rocks you can't so they don't.
As several posters have suggested the best solution here is to beat them because regardless of which method you chose to address it, you are not going to fix it, so just have fun and teach them a lesson by beating them.

Old Post 04-03-12 07:46PM
67 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 67 Click here to Send 67 a Private Message Find more posts by 67 Add 67 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

If this so called team of juniors (composed of all adults) is such an annoyance to you I'm sure there are many other clubs in the area that would gladly have them join their leagues.

My suggestion is to pay attention to your own sheet and not worry about the other games a few sheets over.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.124.233.246

Old Post 04-03-12 08:23PM
guido
Swing Artist

We had an older guy that use to complain all the time about guys over the hogline. (It seems that the guys that slide all the way to the t-line are the ones complaining.)Anyways his kid started curling and is one that is "close" to the hogline when he releases. The old guy doesn't complain anymore.

Old Post 04-03-12 08:58PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Personally a conversation with the skip is the most decent and respectful thing to do. Complaining on curling zone about a problem that was not relevant to your game is not appropriate.

Young teams are the future of the sport and being disrespectful towards them is not helping curling or anyone else for that matter.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.124.233.246

Old Post 04-03-12 09:19PM