isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Time to move forward
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Willy
Drawmaster

Time to move forward

If we are going to let the coaches decide the line-ups when things go bad, then just hand select the Team. Thats why worthless coaches get fired! Have an Olympic Trial like every other sport does, and hand select a Team. Invite our best curlers ( mostly former canadians ) and select a team. The handwriting is on the wall, and it says Tuck is King! Sorry I lost focus there. Hand select a Team.... End of Story!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-12 12:11PM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

The hand picking of the lineup did increase wins and percentages, so i think you are correct Willy. What I would rather see is the best curlers joining forces for 4-5 SUPER teams vs. 22 teams in the play downs. We have two dozen top curlers who want to skip, but the truth is we don't have a Howard, Brewster or Edin in our ranks right now. We do have skips a step below, but they haven't got the horsepower in the first three spots on our top teams. No offense to Team McCormick, they smoked the field to make the Worlds, but it was a diluted field when comparing it to the worlds, much less Cananda.

If the USA wants to guarantee its place in World competitions and the Olympics now is the time. As I pointed out earlier, the US men have one bronze in the last 20 years of World Championships (2007). The current model isn't working and we need to move on.

Old Post 04-10-12 01:24PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deez
Harvey Hacksmasher

And when handpicking a team yields the same results...what then?

Hopefully then we can address our facilities problem.

If every club in the USA had decent rocks and 25 second ice with 4 feet of curl we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Willy, I have many second hand accounts of you being a very nice guy. Your opinions regarding the Olympic selection process make me want to throw my computer against the wall. I fail to see how this theoretical future would be deemed as a step forward? Please elaborate.

Last edited by Deez on 04-11-12 at 01:11PM

Old Post 04-11-12 01:09PM
Deez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deez Click here to Send Deez a Private Message Find more posts by Deez Add Deez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Deez I'm OK

When Herb Brooks, the geatest coach in the history of sports, Hand selects a team... When our USA Olympic basketball team is hand selected.. When our Olympic soccer team is hand selected, when our Olympic Gymnastic team is hand selected?? Individual sports speak for themselves...But team sports in the olympics are hand selected... Shall I say, End of Story???? And go USA!

Old Post 04-11-12 08:54PM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Willy, willy willy....
Curling teams are different. They are more like your favorite band. The ones that aren't formed by committee.
Can anyone name a successful Superband?
Did a Superband ever get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Did a Superband ever win an Olympic medal?

No, No, and No. (OK, there was the Monkees, I'll concede that point)

Let Heath and team et al alone to develop and mature for a few years and they'll give you results.

(But you can't push Willy round
Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no...)

Old Post 04-11-12 09:13PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Hold on, my New York friend. This ain't the Mets. This ain't the Yankees. This ain't the Buffalo Bills. Control your quickdraw reactions and the urge for immediate changes hoping for immediate results.

I refuse to scream for change when we finish out of the top half, yet be quiet when Pottinger finishes 7-4 at World Womens.

Pick any Olympic sport and tell me which one is growing fastest? I think it's curling.

Pick any nation and tell me which one leads in curling growth? I think it's the USA.

We have an image and some exposure...which equals growth. Mess with the image and the growth might disappear. Do NOT let the hyper-reactive tear up the recipe and start over.

Ben Tucker
Waiting for Willy to give the Kentucky Derby winner

Old Post 04-11-12 10:09PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

No Supergroups?

How about:

Cream
CSN&Y
Blind Faith
ELP
Bad Company
Journey

(I know Crean and CSN&Y are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not sure of the others)

These bands didn't stick around long for the most part and like Crosby Stills Nash and Young switched in and out some parts but they were at the top of their games when together.

And that is what curling in the USA needs right now. To get back to the top. I think a hand picked team to compete at Nationals would make the other top curlers look at themselves and decide we need to compress our talent to compete.

I will state it again.

In the last twenty years the USA has one bronze at the World Championships.

We need to pick it up or the USA championships may become the highest level attainable for a top team in the USA.

No one wants to see that.

Last edited by biterbar on 04-11-12 at 10:15PM

Old Post 04-11-12 10:12PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tee-Eh
Knee-Slider

Smh...

What a terrible idea. There is no reason to lose all sense of rationality after a couple of down years for the men. Lets remind ourselves that our women have been representing the US very well for the most part the last decade. Very respectable records in that period including a 2003 Gold medal for Debbie and a 2002 Gold medal for Cassie in juniors. The same can be said for the men as well, 2006 Olympic bronze for Pete and a 2007 bronze for Birr. These guys are still playing obviously. I think sometimes we lose track of the time but if you look back at worlds the last decade or so, we've been in contention on both sides many times.
There is also a lot of up and coming younger players competing in Mens playdowns and I can only see detrimental effects for the FUTURE of this sport ensuing the whole idea of hand selecting teams. Many of these younger curlers will be overlooked and may just give up after several years of some "authority" basically telling them they are not what USA curling is looking for. If you want to see better results at worlds (which I'm sure all curlers do) then the answer is to work harder and get better. Bottom line. That should go without saying, but obviously other people think they have better answers.

Old Post 04-13-12 01:38AM
Tee-Eh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tee-Eh Click here to Send Tee-Eh a Private Message Find more posts by Tee-Eh Add Tee-Eh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Legacy
Knee-Slider

So much of the American Developement model is focussed on playdown success. That practice, fundimentals in prep for international competition are more important than game time. Perhaps this coinsides with a insecurity amongst Americans that there is not sufficiant competition, venues, or facilities in the States to foster adiquet skill developement. This is a misconception. A bit like saying my computer is broken so I wont write an essay, I'll just study hard and hope to ace the exam...

Game time is where team dynamics are developed. It is where stratagies are agreed upon. Where our limitations are tested and experimented with. I dont mean to disparage the validity of fundimentals and drills. But no matter how many curling blogs your coaches read, and no matter how many games you stream on youtube. You will still shoot the same. Americans wont be successful by studying Kevin Martin. Their needs to be some kind of identity other than being the underdog.

Old Post 06-27-12 12:18PM
Legacy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Legacy Click here to Send Legacy a Private Message Find more posts by Legacy Add Legacy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AdamInAlberni
Knee-Slider

I wouldn't call Cream a "super group", they were a fantasic rock trio. Clapton took one listen to Music From Big Pink and left Cream and begged to join The Band (the best super group of all time). Failing that, Clapton formed several super groups, taking several wives (some of whom were at the time married to a member of another super group) just trying to capture a fraction of the genious created by The Band. At least he tried.

Seems like there are several "Claptons" in the curling world trying to go from super group to super group.

Old Post 06-30-12 03:20PM
AdamInAlberni is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AdamInAlberni Click here to Send AdamInAlberni a Private Message Find more posts by AdamInAlberni Add AdamInAlberni to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote