isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Brier Bronze Medal Debate finally laid to rest?
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Soudog
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brier Bronze Medal Debate finally laid to rest?

Check out his from the CCA website:

Manitoba’s Fowler wins Brier Bronze

http://www.curling.ca/2012/03/11/ma...s-brier-bronze/

I've been saying for years (to anybody that would listen) that as a curler, I'd rather take home Bronze than Silver -- at least you can say you won your last game...

And to all those Gushues, Martins, and Jennifer Joneses out there who think you have to hire gunslingers from other provinces to win anything -- and who don't think that winning Bronze means something -- try thinking of it as an extra $10K you didn't have going in... after all, the winner takes home $30,000; the loser $20,000. That's incentive enough in my book...

But if that's not enough, consider the suggestion from the venerable Larry Wood, (who, BTW, has been around curling longer than any of you have been alive -- and who, might I add, doubles as editor of the both the "Tankard Times" and the "Scotties Heart Chart" daily newspapers), about the Bronze medal winner automatically qualifying for next year's Canada Cup.

For those of you not in the know, what that means is, the winner automatically qualifies for the Olympic Trials... not to mention mega-$$$, a chance to go to the Olympics, bring home Gold...

...now THERE'S incentive, baby...

Get it done, CCA!!!

And for those that would still poo-poo a Bronze medal, given everything I've just said, let me add one final thought:

There are at least a million curlers out there across Canada who would trade places with you in a heartbeat...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-11-12 07:55PM
Soudog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Soudog Click here to Send Soudog a Private Message Visit Soudog's homepage! Find more posts by Soudog Add Soudog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Not really fair unless the 2nd place finisher gets a bye as well.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.71.154.88

Old Post 03-11-12 08:51PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Swing Artist

Team Fowler seemed happy to play and win in the Bronze game.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-142250915.html

Old Post 03-11-12 08:51PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

It's the format that is the issue with the Bronze medal game. Not the game itself. Why should the 3/4 loser effectively get a bye over the semifinal loser? In a page format, the winner in fairness IMO of the bronze should be the loser of that semifinal game. If they had a 1v4, 2v3 sudden death playoff, different story.

JH

Old Post 03-11-12 11:32PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Why would the bronze medal winner automatically qualify for the Canada Cup?

Old Post 03-12-12 12:04AM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by kyoh
Why would the bronze medal winner automatically qualify for the Canada Cup?

Interesting question, or the silver medalist for that matter. I can find no reference to that being the case in any of the articles I've read about the game. It seems somewhat unreported. Although, it would be a good incentive,I'm not certain I'd be in favor of it. Current qualifications are:
1.Defending champions-Jones(MB)/Martin (AB)
2.Brier/Scotties Champion – Howard(ON)/Nedohin(AB)
3.Next team on the 2011-12 CTRS – (as of May 1, 2012)
4.Next team on the 2011-12 CTRS – (as of May 1, 2012)
5.Next team on the 2011-12 CTRS – (as of May 1, 2012)
6.Next team on the 2011-12 CTRS – (as of May 1, 2012)
7.Next team on the 2011-12 CTRS – (as of May 1, 2012)

I can only assume that in that case they would change up 2 of the qualifiers for the bronze and silver medalists.

It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, bevelled on the belly and a handle a human being can hold. And it may have no practical purpose in itself but it is a repository of human possibility and if it's handled just right, it will exact the kind of poetry...
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Last edited by celtichound on 03-13-12 at 12:48PM

Old Post 03-12-12 01:36PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Swing Artist

It's a joke. A million curlers would not trade places if the opportunity arose. they may trade a week competing in the brier, but not a morning game, after losing the semi-final , to see who is the second best loser.

Old Post 03-12-12 02:18PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I prefer the CTRS ranking system. Even though it is pretty much of a sacred cow, The Brier (or Scotties) is only 1 event that includes a few, but certainly not all, of the bsst teams in the country. To have 3 out of 8 spots assigned to this seems unfair. CTRS points take into account many events, including points that teams get based on how they finished at the Brier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.103.29

Old Post 03-12-12 02:49PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Re: Brier Bronze Medal Debate finally laid to rest?

quote:
Originally posted by Soudog

But if that's not enough, consider the suggestion from the venerable Larry Wood, (who, BTW, has been around curling longer than any of you have been alive -- and who, might I add, doubles as editor of the both the "Tankard Times" and the "Scotties Heart Chart" daily newspapers), about the Bronze medal winner automatically qualifying for next year's Canada Cup.

For those of you not in the know, what that means is, the winner automatically qualifies for the Olympic Trials... not to mention mega-$$$, a chance to go to the Olympics, bring home Gold...

...now THERE'S incentive, baby...

Get it done, CCA!!!

Seems to be upon a reread that this is only a "suggestion" from this particular columnist. Beyond the cash and the CTRS points earned, this may be too large a reward for finishing 3rd (or even second for that matter). I say stick with the current system as it rewards consistency over a number of events. Plus ensuring that the prior years winners return and the Brier & Scotties winners play.

It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, bevelled on the belly and a handle a human being can hold. And it may have no practical purpose in itself but it is a repository of human possibility and if it's handled just right, it will exact the kind of poetry...
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 03-13-12 12:02PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Classy comments by Jamie Koe in the article. He eloquently points out what the Brier truly means to curlers.

You can win all the money and CTRS points in the world. But its nothing compared to the Brier. So nice to hear, for once, the truth from a player instead of constant Slam-this and that from the Tour boys.

Think he's wrong? Got new for you, I'll bet Mike McEwen would trade every spiel he's ever won for a single Purple Heart. And If all the PPro-WCT'ers on this site were honest for just one minute, they would all admit the same thing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.92.93.160

Old Post 03-13-12 12:52PM
guido
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Classy comments by Jamie Koe in the article. He eloquently points out what the Brier truly means to curlers.

You can win all the money and CTRS points in the world. But its nothing compared to the Brier. So nice to hear, for once, the truth from a player instead of constant Slam-this and that from the Tour boys.

Think he's wrong? Got new for you, I'll bet Mike McEwen would trade every spiel he's ever won for a single Purple Heart. And If all the PPro-WCT'ers on this site were honest for just one minute, they would all admit the same thing.

Yes, the BRIER means a whole bunch. The bronze medal game, different story.
Here's a tweet that Bob Weeks quoted from Jamie.

I’m not saying that the players don’t take the bronze medal game that seriously but the Tweet from Jamie Koe about his participation in the ridiculous game between Y/NWT and Manitobat says it all:

“Lost bronze medal game on #45 min of sleep. Guess I needed an hour.”

Kinda tells you what the players think of the game, don't it.

Old Post 03-13-12 01:43PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Hitting Paint

The early days of the Brier had a bronze medal game, sort of. If the second and third place teams were tied, they played a playoff game to determine it.

This practice was stopped somewhere between 1933 (the last such game played) and 1940 (the next time teams were tied for second place.

Perhaps John Douglas (the loser of the last such game) made an hilarious tweet about the game which killed it for all those decades.

Old Post 03-13-12 03:24PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserCurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

This subject again? No matter what points are brought up, you will always have people who like the bronze medal game and others who dont.

Personally, I have positive and negative thoughts on it but I kind of like it because no team should be handed a medal for losing a game.

Im sure the CCA has debated this subject for a long time before making a decision. In the end, people liking it or not will not change their decision. They could change the playoff format but i cant see them going back to handing a medal to a team that lost their last game.

Old Post 03-14-12 09:24AM
FraserCurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserCurling Click here to Send FraserCurling a Private Message Visit FraserCurling's homepage! Find more posts by FraserCurling Add FraserCurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by FraserCurling
This subject again? No matter what points are brought up, you will always have people who like the bronze medal game and others who dont.

Personally, I have positive and negative thoughts on it but I kind of like it because no team should be handed a medal for losing a game.

Im sure the CCA has debated this subject for a long time before making a decision. In the end, people liking it or not will not change their decision. They could change the playoff format but i cant see them going back to handing a medal to a team that lost their last game.

No more silver medal then?

Old Post 03-14-12 09:54AM
scorer79

Re: Brier Bronze Medal Debate finally laid to rest?

quote:
Originally posted by Soudog
Check out his from the CCA website:

Manitoba’s Fowler wins Brier Bronze

http://www.curling.ca/2012/03/11/ma...s-brier-bronze/

try thinking of it as an extra $10K you didn't have going in... after all, the winner takes home $30,000; the loser $20,000. That's incentive enough in my book...

Try telling that to Rachel Homan. I think the Semi-Final Loser deserves a higher seed than the 3/4 loser.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 199.198.251.108

Old Post 03-14-12 11:20AM
guido
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Brier Bronze Medal Debate finally laid to rest?

quote:
Originally posted by scorer79

Try telling that to Rachel Homan. I think the Semi-Final Loser deserves a higher seed than the 3/4 loser.

I agree. Lose your out, except for the 1/2 game of course. Loser of the semi-final gets bronze.

Old Post 03-14-12 11:36AM
Unregistered

Especially when you consider the fact that she destroyed Nova Scotia in both of their previous matches

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

Old Post 03-14-12 11:50AM
ruralkid
Harvey Hacksmasher

bronze medal

I give Fowler credited for winning that game and i understand that yes maybe it should be played. I think it would be very dissapointing if you were to lose that game and get nothing after being in the 1/2 game, then dropping to the semis and losing that. By making it to the 1/2 game then you should be guarenteed a medal, you have already proved yourself that you have the ability to play at that level. I know it will never make everyone happy but if they going to have a bronze medal game at the national level, why don't they do it at the provincial level? Every other sport does it at the provincial level but not curling??? Keep it consistented.

Old Post 03-19-12 11:04AM
ruralkid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruralkid Click here to Send ruralkid a Private Message Find more posts by ruralkid Add ruralkid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

Re: bronze medal

quote:
Originally posted by ruralkid
I give Fowler credited for winning that game and i understand that yes maybe it should be played. I think it would be very dissapointing if you were to lose that game and get nothing after being in the 1/2 game, then dropping to the semis and losing that. By making it to the 1/2 game then you should be guarenteed a medal, you have already proved yourself that you have the ability to play at that level. I know it will never make everyone happy but if they going to have a bronze medal game at the national level, why don't they do it at the provincial level? Every other sport does it at the provincial level but not curling??? Keep it consistented.

By losing the 1/2 game and the semi-final, you have proven you don't deserve to win a medal. You just lost two straight playoff games in a four team playoff.

If they keep the page system, the semi-final loser should be the Bronze Medalist.

If they insist on having a Bronze game, then switch to a 1v4, 2v3 format. Winners play for Gold, Losers play for Bronze.

Old Post 03-19-12 01:23PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote