isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Worlds-USA
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hooper
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Howard=13-0

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

You do know that your national champion skip is one of hundreds of Curlers who were ambushed along the way as Howard won a record 7 Ontario titles in a row ?

In general, nobody was even close to knocking them off.

I'd never heard of this Howard guy. Is he any good?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-05-12 02:43PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mr. lucky
Aileen did win a junior bronze but it was in 2003 or 04. Thanks for the additions.

Sorry Mr. Lucky, but she was 4th that year too. Don't get me wrong! I like Aileen!

Old Post 04-05-12 02:53PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

Craig Brown is vicing again in the final game and is at 97% currently. I wonder who is making that call? Stopera has had high percentages at the two spot. who makes the lineup calls?

Looks like we will finish 4-7 in eighth and will have lost to three teams below us in the standings, beat Sweden and played tough against Canada and Scotland (after going down 5-0).

A slow start against Germany and France and the unexpected loss to the Swiss is the difference of going 7-4 for a tiebreaker.

Old Post 04-05-12 03:36PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

Interesting...they were 0-5 when starting without the hammer.

Old Post 04-05-12 04:38PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

I'm just happy they managed to end up on top of the pile and get 5 points. If you assume that a few countries above them (e.g. at least 3 out of Canada, Sweden, Norway, and Scotland) will have strong finishes next year, then they can probably snag an Oly spot with a 5th or 6th place finish in next year's worlds.

But a loss today would have landed them at 11th with only 2 Oly points and a serious uphill battle for next year's reps.

Old Post 04-05-12 04:47PM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

Can't wait to hear the post mortem.....

Old Post 04-05-12 04:56PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fanofcurling

Sorry Mr. Lucky, but she was 4th that year too. Don't get me wrong! I like Aileen!

Dang... I hate being wrong. Thanks for the correction. In those days they had semis. I must have assumed a bronze because they were in the play-offs

Old Post 04-05-12 04:57PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

Overthinking things a bit: it's in the US's interest for New Zealand to not make the gold medal game. In that case, they do no better than 10 Oly points. That means that if either they or China don't make Worlds next year (which is quite possible), then the US has a great chance to overtake either one of them on points, even with a mid-level finish. If NZ gets at least silver, then they would be much harder to overtake.

So I guess that means I'm rooting for Sweden in the tiebreaker. That leaves NZ at 8 points, China at 7, and if either misses Worlds next year, the US would only need 4 points to outcount the missing team. Depending on who finishes int he top 4 next year, that might actually be enough to avoid the remedial round.

Old Post 04-05-12 08:30PM
RockDoc
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlny
Can't wait to hear the post mortem.....

Here are some statistics to consider:

Hammer efficiency = 23% (2nd lowest)
Force efficiency = 41% (lowest)

A 4-7 finish actually looks pretty good, considering that. I don't know who said it during the Brier (Russ or Cathy) but it was remarked you can't win games by depending on steals. You have to do something with the hammer [and force the opponents frequently.]

Clearly, we missed some shots, but did our strategy contribute?

Old Post 04-06-12 12:26PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
.. it was remarked you can't win games by depending on steals. You have to do something with the hammer [and force the opponents frequently.]

I would agree this is true at the men's competitive level. At the club level, or from what I've observed with the Women's game, you absolutely can win games depending on steals. You can totally humiliate and demoralize the opposition with steals. Check the strategy of the older folks at your club, they've long ago figured this out. Just saying....

Old Post 04-06-12 01:13PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
I would agree this is true at the men's competitive level. At the club level, or from what I've observed with the Women's game, you absolutely can win games depending on steals. You can totally humiliate and demoralize the opposition with steals. Check the strategy of the older folks at your club, they've long ago figured this out. Just saying....

Club curling is a different animal. Steal percentage at the world level is around 20%. I'm guessing at the club level it's closer to 40%. (Some day I'm going to do a little side project to track simple team stats like hammer efficiency, force efficiency, etc. for one of our men's leagues just for fun.) Thus, at the club level, I would strongly suspect that 1-up-without is the clear winner over 1-down-without coming home. At the world level, it's about a 60%-win proposition to be 1-up-without, but most teams don't like that situation because of the perceived lack of control. But I don't have the data yet for club curling...

Cheers.

Old Post 04-06-12 01:43PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote