isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Farewell Mixed?
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Farewell Mixed?

Looks like the CCA is planning some changes to Mixed curling:
No more mixed

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-12 02:30PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Harvey Hacksmasher

Another perspective

This article says otherwise re: fate of Mixed Championship.
http://www.canada.com/sports/Nation...7068/story.html

Old Post 04-13-12 09:30PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunttheherdbull
Harvey Hacksmasher

Glad to hear that it will have no impact on the Canadian Mixed Team Championship.

Old Post 04-13-12 11:13PM
Hunttheherdbull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunttheherdbull Click here to Send Hunttheherdbull a Private Message Find more posts by Hunttheherdbull Add Hunttheherdbull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

From Al Cameron's article:

"But the proposed mixed doubles nationals would take place before the cash season heats up, and would be played over the course of a weekend. And where Alberta teams have to play a regional and provincial playdown just to qualify for the mixed team nationals, a mixed doubles nationals field would be determined based on Canadian Team Ranking System points, meaning no qualifying events would be necessary"

So it is only for players who are already playing competitively? Nice way to engage curling clubs and curlers across the country and get them involved in the sport.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.98.165.199

Old Post 04-14-12 11:28AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ObsessiveCurler
Administrator

Finally the CCA steps in to make sure that we send great representatives to the Worlds!
It's about time Canada started taking Mixed dubs seriously, the reat of the world is.

Old Post 04-14-12 01:48PM
ObsessiveCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ObsessiveCurler Click here to Send ObsessiveCurler a Private Message Find more posts by ObsessiveCurler Add ObsessiveCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Mixed doubles. Hmm, can't say I've warmed up to this......thing.
Mixed doubles to curling is what......
..bouncing on a trampoline and stuffing the hoop is to basketball.
...those skills competitions at the all-star game where you shoot the puck through the four holes in the net is to the game of hockey
...the home run competition is to the sport of baseball.
..bumper pool is to the game of billiards.

Can't say I've ever played this thing, nor heard of anyone else that has, or any clubs that have a "Mixed Doubles" league.

Whereas mixed curling..is played by literally 10's, maybe 100's of thousands of Canadians, Americans and Europeans every winter.

Which begs the question, why is the CCA making changes? Is it the overwhelming demand from the grassroots curlers to bring on this Mixed Doubles?

Is this actually a sport played in European curling clubs? Please, someone from Scotland or Sweden chime in here and tell us about your mixed doubles clubs and leagues.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 04-14-12 at 04:05PM

Old Post 04-14-12 04:00PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Johnnysmoke,

Great post,

I read on the Ontario curling Assoc. site that the Canadian Mixed will be no longer after 2013-2014. I certainly hope this is no the case. If the CCA wants to send the best mixed doubles team they can find, then go ahead. Pick who they want if they are not happy with the results in the past mixed doubles. Those teams played hard and did their best. I would not be opposed even if they pick the team they want after this years Canadian Mixed if it means that much to them. Pick the best male curler and female curler in Canada. Just leave the team mixed alone. It has been going sinse 1964. The mixed doubles is a totally different event.
Mixed curling is a huge part of our club and our club teams enter playdowns, ours being one of them.

Bush

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.66.17.134

Old Post 04-14-12 11:55PM
alex
Harvey Hacksmasher

the CCA should try and help Canadian curling. The funny mixed game is a disaster for curling as we know it.

Old Post 04-15-12 02:24AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling Dave
Swing Artist

Show me a club with a healthy mixed curling league and I will show you a healthy club. As junior leagues are key to the future of curling, mixed leagues are key to filling up clubs with Men's and Ladies leagues now. Keep the mixed nationals happening. It is another incentive for mixed curlers from mixed leagues to continue. Mixed doubles replacing mixed nationals is a misguided decision. Additional competition, okay, replacement, duh!

Dave

Old Post 04-15-12 09:50AM
Curling Dave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling Dave Click here to Send Curling Dave a Private Message Visit Curling Dave's homepage! Find more posts by Curling Dave Add Curling Dave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keaner

Mixed Doubles is crap. Honestly who gives a **** if we place last or first at the World Mixed Doubles? I really hope the IOC rejects any and every proposal the WCF makes for this silly game. I would like to see a World Mixed Championship much more than a world mixed doubles from a fans point of view and a competitive curlers point of view.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.114.79.119

Old Post 04-15-12 10:31AM
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

This game is a lot of fun. its fast paced with lots of rocks in play. And it makes for some very exciting gameplay.
Have none of u watched the continental cup? The games made for some very aggresive and exciting play. I remember a few triples being played by eve muirhed and ben hebert.

I know that in Europe a lot of countries have picked up mixed doubles. there are quite some mixed dobules competitions i know of in Scotland for example. I also know that the teams that go to the world mixed doubles championships train very hard, and practice a lot of mixed doubles.

I think its all about being open-minded to try new things.
Mixed doubles is not a threat to any other form of curling, its simply a way to grow the sport. SO see it as an opportunity.

Mixed doubles was designed to grow interest in the sport of curling. Not to replace mixed team curling. therefore i fully agree that a mixed doubles championship shouldnt replace a team championship. Instead i am very much in favour of creating a new open championship where everyone can participate and try this really fun sport. This way we can get opportunities for new players to play in national and world championships, which will allow developing players to get more experience. This can only be good for the sport.

The entire sport of Curling would benefit if mixed doubles became olympic.

I love mixed doubles. All other nations are very excited about it. I really hope that Canada will pick it up too.

Old Post 05-07-12 05:46PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

I have actually heard that in Europe the mixed doubles is on the way out, so we should not get too excited about it.

Any curling is better than no curling, but can you imagine if all the clubs in Cda that survive on Friday might mixed leagues suddenly change to mixed doubles? Half as many people at the club, have as many drinks sold, half as much revenue on their biggest night of the week.

As for the Continental Cup, I would much prefer the hot shots and mixed doubles be replaced by something like double rink competitions.

Old Post 05-07-12 06:16PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

The teams that play in the Continental Cup only do so with a guarantee of money. The whole concept is lame with mixed doubles being the lamest.

Old Post 05-07-12 07:12PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote