Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Sydney, N.S.

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-18-19 10:15PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Pool B will end up a schmozzle of teams at 4-3 and 3-4 with tie breakers up the ying yang.

I'd say the only team thats capable of breaking away and going 5-2 is Jesse Wildcard - - - - you never know 'bout Jones, she could run the table to get to 5 wins but more likely 4-3 or 3-4. 4-3 might get her a bite of a tie-break, thats about it. She doesn't even look out-of-sorts or tight - - - - I think she kinda knows she's done!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-18-19 10:39PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

YAFI
who is Jesse Wildcard???

02-19-19 09:10AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

x12x

02-19-19 09:13AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

After a 2 game recover it appears Tiny Tracy Fleury's days (games) are numbered at this year's event.

She's up against the monsters this a.m. - Rachel Homan.

Miskew putting up monster-like numbers (100%) early and the Fleury team chugging around in the 60s (mostly due to Team Homan creating high degrees of difficulty for them)

TSN somehow knew that it wouldn't be a competitive game - so they're showing B.C. vs. N. Ontario - a game where both teams have been steady, and sometimes spectacular.

02-19-19 09:31AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Funny old world

Jennifer Jones has a very good chance of being named top skip all-time in women's curling later this week

but this week she's curling up some horrid games, calling them worse and might not even make tie-breaker into the playoff round.

Will it soil her legacy? Of course not!

When Connie Laliberte suddenly went sour after incredible yrs of winning Scotties and impressing everyone with her killer shot-making nobody degraded her legacy.

Simply put Jones is no longer the great curler she was. Pretty obvious if you've got 1 eye and half a brain.

2019 STOH should feature Rachel Homan (a powerhouse team if there ever was) vs. either Team Scheidecard or Northern Ontario.

The 4th team to qualify will either be Chelsea Carey, Sarah Wark or Silvernagle. At this point it appears Carey - but Carey is also capable of falling into deep funks, if history serves.

02-19-19 10:00AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

ML., Your "researcher" has goofed up once again!

"Jones basically put her entire team on her back and carried them to gold." 02/18/19

But according to published statistics, in the 2014 Olympics McEwen shot 91% in the round-robin and 99% in the final game.

02-19-19 10:43AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
After a 2 game recover it appears Tiny Tracy Fleury's days (games) are numbered at this year's event.

She's up against the monsters this a.m. - Rachel Homan.

Miskew putting up monster-like numbers (100%) early and the Fleury team chugging around in the 60s (mostly due to Team Homan creating high degrees of difficulty for them)

TSN somehow knew that it wouldn't be a competitive game - so they're showing B.C. vs. N. Ontario - a game where both teams have been steady, and sometimes spectacular.

Gees ML you really should not declare a game over after a couple of ends. Not competitive??

02-19-19 10:48AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Close games today ON finally getting a competitive game against MB and Carey in a close one against NU

02-19-19 11:11AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Way to go manitoba

02-19-19 11:51AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

huge wins for manitoba and northern ontario today over ontario and british columbia respectively.

now really interesting to see who advances out of this group. alberta has with the win this morning and ontario will with one more win in their last 2 games. the game between northern ontario and manitoba will likely end up deciding the final spot. but what happens if manitoba or northern ontario and british columbia end up 4-3? would H@H decide who goes through or DSC?

02-19-19 12:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

If it's 2 way tie for 4th it's who beat who. 3 way tie lowest draw to button gets a tiebreak bye and plays the winner of 2nd and 3rd draw scores. I think.

02-19-19 12:26PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

"Suspect Courtney will give Officer a run for her money for 2nd spot with Mary-Anne. McCuster giving both a run for the money." ML. 02/18/19

Don't agree. I think it's premature at this juncture to consider Courtney in the mix with either Arsenault ( No. 1 ) or Officer ( No. 2 ).

"3rd should boil down to a 2 - way contest between Lawes and Miskew." ML 02/18/19

I have neither of these in my top two. I prefer IOF2's choice of Kelly or Cathy O much better. And EPMD's pick of Betker deserves merit also.

02-19-19 12:33PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
ML., Your "researcher" has goofed up once again!

"Jones basically put her entire team on her back and carried them to gold." 02/18/19

But according to published statistics, in the 2014 Olympics McEwen shot 91% in the round-robin and 99% in the final game.

Thats why Dawn is the best lead ever. I was obviously talking about the mid-card of Jones lineup - Officer was off her usual form and Kaitlyn was super-tight (allowed due to be freshly minted as a Jones team member, lots of pressure on her to produce)

That said, Jones was the undisputed all-star of that Olympics curling event.

02-19-19 12:43PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Tremendous win for Tracy Fleury (MB) - she somehow got Rachel Homan chasing and the results were a W. Fleury also was in desperation mode, having lost 2 games already a 3rd would perhaps have been fatal.

Rachel was feasting on lower tier opponents and somehow wasn't prepared for the Fleury Flurry!!!

Great win for Krista McCarville (NO) over a game but over-matched (team-wise) Sarah Wark (BC). McCarville & 3rd Kendra Lilly were totally out of sorts early and at odds with each other - but somehow rallied the troops and nipped BC at the wire - when McCarville is going strong she's a handful for anyone - and that includes Miss Rachel.

02-19-19 08:19PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Click here to Send maybo a Private Message Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

Trying to follow as best I can from Thailand. Not much chatter here about Chelsea Carey but she appears to be the class of the field judging by the standings.

02-19-19 09:12PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

And Betker. She was dynamite.

For skips, you can't pick anyone but Jones or Jones. Homan might get there before too long, but she has a few more titles to win yet, and she probably has to redeem herself in the Olympics.

I think Jennifer Jones has passed Colleen Jones. The argument comes down to JJ and Schmirler to me. It's similar to a Gretzky/Orr debate. Jones has the longevity and the career numbers, but Schmirler arguably has the better peak and went four for four with gold at the worlds/Olympics. I'll be interested in how the voting goes for this one.

02-19-19 09:38PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

hard to judge Jones and Schmirler. The many rule changes...5 rock, the sweeping.

A little bit of a different era.

02-19-19 09:39PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I think Jennifer Jones has passed Colleen Jones. The argument comes down to JJ and Schmirler to me. It's similar to a Gretzky/Orr debate. Jones has the longevity and the career numbers, but Schmirler arguably has the better peak and went four for four with gold at the worlds/Olympics. I'll be interested in how the voting goes for this one.

jen has longevity, true but sandra was taken way to early. no doubt she'd have had a very long career if she hadnt gotten sick. just imagine the things she would have accomlished if she hadnt been taken to early

in a way its not fair to compair the 2.

however if forced to choose i will always say sandra because her performances as team canada were superb. not only did she get gold every time but she barely lost games when she got to the international level

02-19-19 09:43PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

WOW JUST WOW

Rachel Homan has a bad day of Olympian proportions

Tracy Fleury pulls off an upset of Homan and is coming on strong

The new mean girls are Team Chelsea Carey w/ Krista McCarville's group right behind.

But beware of Jennifer Jones - if she ever gets her vision back and starts making those big, bad, beautiful shots.

Scheidegger still quietly lurks!

Many teams buoyed like crazy once Homan showed she was vulnerable!

Still concerned about JJ Jones numbers. Games in the 50s, 60s and 70s simply not sustainable for gold - let alone a medal.

Good move though by Jones putting Officer into the lineup - recharging the chemistry.

02-19-19 10:55PM
CarvedIn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CarvedIn Find more posts by CarvedIn Add CarvedIn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CarvedIn
Knee-Slider

West is best?

Looks like JJ and Team Homan have some work to do. Both could realistically fail to qualify for champion rounds. Class of the field right now are the AB teams. It’s still early and both have shown vulnerability in the past but this STOH is wide open with the heavy chaulk stumbling. Don’t blame the ice all teams are dealing with it, it’s nothing more than human nature. Can’t always be great and when teams that are talented don’t roll over because of intimidation the JJs of the world get beat. But until both Jones and Homan are out they are still highly likely to be in the mix come Sunday. They just need to get their act together ASAP or it’s Friday flights home.

02-19-19 11:36PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: West is best?

quote:
Originally posted by CarvedIn
Looks like JJ and Team Homan have some work to do. Both could realistically fail to qualify for champion rounds. Class of the field right now are the AB teams. It’s still early and both have shown vulnerability in the past but this STOH is wide open with the heavy chaulk stumbling. Don’t blame the ice all teams are dealing with it, it’s nothing more than human nature. Can’t always be great and when teams that are talented don’t roll over because of intimidation the JJs of the world get beat. But until both Jones and Homan are out they are still highly likely to be in the mix come Sunday. They just need to get their act together ASAP or it’s Friday flights home.

Good first post. Never write off Jones. Better to get your sour games out of the way early and come on strong down the last furlong.
Homan hit a sour spot today - but in both cases it was the other team curling up a storm and Rachel's team chasing - an unusual spot for Team Homan.

Don't write off the other Ontario team either - the new mean girls, skipped by Krista McCarville, a veteran who is non-plussed by the odd bad shot and being down a point or two.

Barring a complete collapse Wednesday I can't imagine both Homan & Jones failing to make the next round. More likely but low odds (25 or 30% at best) would have one of them not proceeding.

Carey has done a remarkable job - first recruiting Val Sweeting's old front end (Dana & Rachel) and bringing Sarah Wilkes in at 3rd. Carey doesn't seem to be as moody or disconnected as she's been in past events. Thats a great sign - as she quietly pursues a second STOH title.
McCarville may not play a ton of games on tour but she's an amazing player. So skilled, so intelligent and now she's having a bit more fun than in the past when she was voted the most dour competitor. j/k

I can see a ton of finals:

Homan vs. Jones
McCarville vs. Carey
Scheidegger vs. Homan
Jones vs. McCarville
even an outside shot someone like Silvernagle or Fleury claw their way to the gold medal game.

But the 2nd part of the tourney and the playoff round should make up for some of the unusually bad curling - both in the play-in game and the 7 game 2-group round-robin.

02-19-19 11:38PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: West is best?

quote:
Originally posted by CarvedIn

Well said re the ice. Or rocks, all teams have the same conditions. It's the team that is quickist to adapt to the changing conditions that wins. But why would they sand the rocks again mid competition? Stupid. Start with the rocks sanded and as the competition goes forward all teams can adapt to the GRADUAL changing of the rocks, rather than an arbitrary resand half way through. Do they really need 5-6 feet of curl? What's wrong with 3-4 feet. Let the ice reader win.

02-20-19 12:01AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: West is best?

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Well said re the ice. Or rocks, all teams have the same conditions. It's the team that is quickist to adapt to the changing conditions that wins. But why would they sand the rocks again mid competition? Stupid. Start with the rocks sanded and as the competition goes forward all teams can adapt to the GRADUAL changing of the rocks, rather than an arbitrary resand half way through. Do they really need 5-6 feet of curl? What's wrong with 3-4 feet. Let the ice reader win.

Agreed, stupid idea to change the rocks. Some things are better left as is. Reminded of the idiot decision to sandpaper the rocks in the Oly.

02-20-19 09:05AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

If there are miss matched rocks and inconsistent ice it’s not fair to all teams equally which is pretty apparent in this bond spiel

It’s a great equalizer to have everybody curl 70% instead of average teams curling 70% and superior teams @ 90%

You can be sure the TV networks won’t like the results if the 8 qualifiers don’t include the big names

There is a short window to get the facilities better And they better get at it

02-20-19 09:37AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Interesting to see that Officer is playing for Peterman this morning.