isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - University curling
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curler4life
Harvey Hacksmasher

ohhh nooo, please dont say that. its never fun to curl on terrible ice. I mean we have to make do with what we have but its never fun, but hopefully it will change

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-21-12 09:09PM
curler4life is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler4life Click here to Send curler4life a Private Message Find more posts by curler4life Add curler4life to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

Bottcher/Gallant on men's. I'd like to see UofW do well just cuz I go there lol. Do you know who's on that team?

And the women's, I'll say Crocker/Vandepoele.

Who are your picks?

Old Post 02-21-12 09:18PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler4life
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know Bottcher had a good season but I'm going to say Bale and Gallant, just because Bottcher will have played in Europe and he will either be tired and extreamly off. or he will be extreamly on and he'll play lights out. and I am picking UofW as well, I think they have a good team and one big name on the team. what are you studying at the UofW?

on the girls I'm going to pick Vandepoele, and Alberta

Old Post 02-21-12 09:26PM
curler4life is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler4life Click here to Send curler4life a Private Message Find more posts by curler4life Add curler4life to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

I'm studying business, nothing special lol

Bale is good, but I don't think they can pull it off. Could be a dark horse though. Even if Bottcher is tired, I can't see them not making the final at least, they're too good.

Just found the site for the teams, didn't realize Birchard is skipping UofW! They could be up there

Old Post 02-21-12 09:36PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler4life
Harvey Hacksmasher

Buisness is pretty cool! Bale has a pretty strong team, he will probably make top 4. yes that is correct we have Daniel Birchard playing with us. I think we have a pretty good team. and i think on any given day anyone could be anyone.

Old Post 02-21-12 09:39PM
kyoh
Hitting Paint

You're playing? Good luck to you guys!! Be cool if you guys won.

What do the winners win?

Old Post 02-21-12 09:44PM
Unregistered

The winners of CIS get a trip to the World University Games in 2013. They will be held in Slovenia next year. I know the guys from Queen's who won in 2011 and went to the Worlds in Turkey last year. According to them it was quite the experience!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.96.189.26

Old Post 02-22-12 01:13AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler4life
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am on the team yes. and thank you I hope we win too. and I think we have pretty good chances at winning.

Next year the university games are slovenia.

Old Post 02-22-12 02:08AM
curler4life
Harvey Hacksmasher

are the guys from the 2011 Queens team returning this year?

Old Post 02-22-12 02:12AM
ott-am
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curler4life
are the guys from the 2011 Queens team returning this year?

There was only one player remaining from the winning Queens team from last year. Two others graduated, and I believe the skip from last year elected to caoch the team instead.

Old Post 02-26-12 09:08PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I had a routing interest in the OUA Playdowns in Guelph and attended a number of draws and the playoffs. The level of curling was terrific on both the mens and womens side. I have attended a number of Junior provincial and national events and of course the brier and lots of provincial mens and womens playdowns. In my opinion the university playdowns are tougher than junior and the strategy and shot making are at a very high level. For example Brett Deukoning who skipped Ontarios junior team at the Canadians was playing third for Western, Mark Kean who skipped at the Ontario Men's Provincials skipped Trent's team, Western made the playoffs but did not qualify for the nationals, Trent did not make the playoffs.
I think that the broadcasters are missing a real opportunity to show some excellent curling from a University national event. If these young men and women were to get some national or regional exposure university athletic departments may want to provide some additional support to their curlers. In my view this would be a great event fot TSN2 as it would be a national Canadiian event leading to the World University games.
Not sure how to get something like this started but I would sure like to see it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.91.139.113

Old Post 02-26-12 11:02PM
curler4life
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I had a routing interest in the OUA Playdowns in Guelph and attended a number of draws and the playoffs. The level of curling was terrific on both the mens and womens side. I have attended a number of Junior provincial and national events and of course the brier and lots of provincial mens and womens playdowns. In my opinion the university playdowns are tougher than junior and the strategy and shot making are at a very high level. For example Brett Deukoning who skipped Ontarios junior team at the Canadians was playing third for Western, Mark Kean who skipped at the Ontario Men's Provincials skipped Trent's team, Western made the playoffs but did not qualify for the nationals, Trent did not make the playoffs.
I think that the broadcasters are missing a real opportunity to show some excellent curling from a University national event. If these young men and women were to get some national or regional exposure university athletic departments may want to provide some additional support to their curlers. In my view this would be a great event fot TSN2 as it would be a national Canadiian event leading to the World University games.
Not sure how to get something like this started but I would sure like to see it.

I agree University curling is very competitive, and I believe as well it is alot more challenging to win than Juniors. how ever juniors is very hard too. you bring up a good idea. I would be interested in learning how you could get the media involved in University curling. and the hopefully Universities would want to support their curling teams

Old Post 02-26-12 11:57PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

go after it

the media wont come looking for you.. they have their plates full.. the Universities have to have a PR person go after the media

Old Post 02-27-12 05:49AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

They need TSN to show the CIS final, ala their regular University coverage. That would sure help!

JH

Old Post 02-27-12 07:00AM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickingrandcach
Harvey Hacksmasher

this might be a chnce for a local university film class to put the games online for us to watch. i know i really enjoyed the usa championships online and would watch this if it was online. just an idea, if it is possible.

Old Post 02-27-12 10:20AM
nickingrandcach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickingrandcach Click here to Send nickingrandcach a Private Message Visit nickingrandcach's homepage! Find more posts by nickingrandcach Add nickingrandcach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Pundits Pontificating

Universities broadcast their own sports these days so pester these people, SSN link, or the host university Brock, or the organizer, the CCA, if you want the CIS curling finals broadcast.

Old Post 02-27-12 10:38AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickingrandcach
Harvey Hacksmasher

good luck to you all in the university event this week. let us know if you are on the internet.

Old Post 03-12-12 06:29PM
nickingrandcach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickingrandcach Click here to Send nickingrandcach a Private Message Visit nickingrandcach's homepage! Find more posts by nickingrandcach Add nickingrandcach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Mark Kean was not skipping the Trent Unniversity team, it was his younger brother Mike Kean who is also a good shooter.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.75.113.38

Old Post 03-13-12 11:37PM
DougSuerich
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congratulations to the Wilfred Laurier Women's team for defending their CIS title! Here's a short video with highlights from the final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGvi...eature=youtu.be

(Produced by the WLU marketing department, so perhaps a little unflattering to Brock)

Congrats to skip Laura Crocker, Sarah Wilkes, Jen Gates, Cheryl Kreviazuk, and alternate Pam Feldkamp. This caps off a remarkable season that included a win as Team Canada at the Karuizawa International Curling Championship in Japan.

http://hawkscurlinghpc.ca/2012/01/l...d-at-karuizawa/

Old Post 03-19-12 06:49PM
DougSuerich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DougSuerich Click here to Send DougSuerich a Private Message Find more posts by DougSuerich Add DougSuerich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

So Slovenia has recently backed out of hosting the University Games. Trentino Italy will now do it. However, rumour has it that it won't be held in January 2013 as originally planned but rather Dec 11-21, 2013!!! I saw this on the US curling website.

Just wondering what the CCA is going to do now? Surely they can't send a team that won in March 2012 to an event in Dec 2013. Thats 21 months away. The winners of last weeks CIS championships in Welland ON were to be the rep's at the University Games. WLU for the girls and Univ of Alberta for the boys.

Has the US qualified their representatives for the World University Games yet??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.50.219.52

Old Post 03-25-12 01:23PM
Unregistered

As far as I know the CCA will still be sending the WLU and U of A teams. These teams won the right to represent canada at the 2013 games and will keep that right whether its in january or december. And for graduating players (I think most of the WLU women are graduating) they can still play at the games any time in the calendar year after they graduate, so theyll still be eligible.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.236.62.169

Old Post 03-25-12 02:53PM
Unregistered

That is probably what will happen, but it will lead to a strange situation where, (unless U of A and WLU repeat), the reigning Canadian University champs at the time the Universiades are held will not be the teams representing Canada at the Universiades.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.65.133.237

Old Post 03-25-12 03:39PM
Unregistered

WLU girls can not repeat as four of the five graduate this year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.50.219.52

Old Post 03-25-12 08:22PM
Unregistered

The teams that win universities in 2012 earn the right to be at the 2013 world games. The teams that end up winning universities in 2013 will earn the right to represent Canada at some other tournament, likely Karuizawa where the WLU girls went this year. It does not really matter when in 2013the games end up being, that is just how the university program works. If nothing else itll give Alberta and laurier more time to prepare than the teams who win next year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.236.62.169

Old Post 03-25-12 11:33PM
Unregistered

Yes more time to prepare, but 22 months!! They will probably all go their separate ways and join up just for the games. This is truly unfortunate that Slovenia backed out after the teams qualified.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.114.172.136

Old Post 03-26-12 09:44AM