isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Goverance Changes
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by spiroth
This "winning is everything" mentality is not what curling is about. I appreciate the importance of the Olympics as a means to attract new curlers, but I really don't care much whether or not we win medals. I measure the health of the sport by the number of curlers and dedicated facilities that we have - not by medals. The only way that there would be no Olympic television coverage at all is if neither the men's or the women's teams qualified. I still see this as very, very unlikely.

I also doubt that these silly high performance plans will have any effect one way or another. Did Glenn Howard win the world championship because of a CCA plan? I don't think so. He won because he has been curling his entire life against top notch competition.

I want the USCA to stop chasing shiny objects and start dedicating 99.9% of its efforts toward grassroots curling.

Scott

Nobody is making the claim that Winning is everything. However, if you're going to run a competitive curling program, the goal is in fact to win.

Therefore the USOC and the USCA should be doing everything within their power to make US Curling competitive again on the world stage, and someday be able to realistically compete for a gold medal.

Glenn Howard did not win because of a CCA plan, however the large amounts of funding his team receives from the CCA plays a huge part in being able to travel and compete against top notch talent. That being said, Glenn Howard certainly did not win because of grassroots curling.

Grassroots curling is a key component of growing the game in the states, however the best way to market the game is by competitive play, and competitive success. That's what people unfamiliar with the sport will see on their TV, and give them the desire to look up their local curling club.

Both parts are crucial in developing curling in the US. focusing too much one way or the other will be a huge mistake.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-23-12 11:31AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote