isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - New Zealand has to be the "surprise" so far r
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

New Zealand has to be the "surprise" so far r

no doubt N.Z. has to be the surprise for curling fans with their record so far, who would of bet them to be ahead of teams like Sweden, Denmark , and tied with Norway and trailing the U.S. in present game. Something tells me that the N.Z. skip is a Canadian Mmmm wouldn't be surprised to learn that might be true? Glenn and company look like their cruising to a undefeated preliminary round... unless China throws them for a loss? don't think that will happen

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-12 02:37PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

dead wrong. Not an inch of Canadian talent on this team. 2 of them are Scottish but the Becker brothers are kiwis through and through

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

Old Post 04-04-12 03:02PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

**From NZ website**
Peter de Boer has been curling for 30 years, most of that time in his homeland of Scotland where he played at the highest level, and also on the World Curling Tour. His impressive record includes seven appearances in the Scottish Men's Championship Finals, with a best result of second in 2004 and 2005.

Old Post 04-04-12 03:24PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
**From NZ website**
Peter de Boer has been curling for 30 years, most of that time in his homeland of Scotland where he played at the highest level,

He played on top of Ben Nevis?

Old Post 04-04-12 03:29PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
dead wrong. Not an inch of Canadian talent on this team. 2 of them are Scottish but the Becker brothers are kiwis through and through
okay that is interesting to know no Canucks , but with the two Scotts in the line up they must be doing something right to balance out that N.Z rink... too bad Heath from the U.S. is laying a pasting and have beaten them, kinds of hurts their chances for a playoff hunt,can Brewster pull off a win against Canada? we'll see...

Old Post 04-04-12 03:31PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
okay that is interesting to know no Canucks , but with the two Scotts in the line up they must be doing something right to balance out that N.Z rink... too bad Heath from the U.S. is laying a pasting and have beaten them, kinds of hurts their chances for a playoff hunt,can Brewster pull off a win against Canada? we'll see...
nope Glenn pulled off the victory to remain undefeated, this has to silence any doubters if there were any in the first place , that CANADA ROCKS # 1 IN WORLD CURLING ...

Old Post 04-04-12 03:42PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
nope Glenn pulled off the victory to remain undefeated, this has to silence any doubters if there were any in the first place , that CANADA ROCKS # 1 IN WORLD CURLING ...

Glenn and Wayne are legends in the game, with steller world championship records. With serious competition in Canada, people tend to forget how good these guys are.

I'm thinking if they run the table it is the best run in the history of the game, only losing one game in maybe 50 competitive games.

Old Post 04-04-12 04:27PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Re: New Zealand has to be the "surprise" so far r

quote:
no doubt N.Z. has to be the surprise for curling fans with their record so far, who would of bet them to be ahead of teams like Sweden, Denmark , and tied with Norway and trailing the U.S. in present game. Something tells me that the N.Z. skip is a Canadian Mmmm wouldn't be surprised to learn that might be true? Glenn and company look like their cruising to a undefeated preliminary round... unless China throws them for a loss? don't think that will happen

I actually think China's a bigger surprise. They've never been all that good in the past.

Old Post 04-04-12 04:30PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Glenn and Wayne are legends in the game, with steller world championship records. With serious competition in Canada, people tend to forget how good these guys are.

I'm thinking if they run the table it is the best run in the history of the game, only losing one game in maybe 50 competitive games.

true enough Wayne may think he is a legend in his own mind lets not forget how he got to curl on Glenn Howard rink in the first place, thanks to vice Richard Hart packing it in. Personally I never seen Wayne curl any better than he has recently. This could be undoubtedly the best Canadian rink at the worlds ever assembled, some may give their own thoughts?

Old Post 04-04-12 04:40PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
true enough Wayne may think he is a legend in his own mind lets not forget how he got to curl on Glenn Howard rink in the first place, thanks to vice Richard Hart packing it in. Personally I never seen Wayne curl any better than he has recently. This could be undoubtedly the best Canadian rink at the worlds ever assembled, some may give their own thoughts?

You are forgetting that Wayne skipped the best team in the world in the late 1990s. He was actually better back then.

Old Post 04-04-12 04:58PM
celtichound
Swing Artist

They certainly were a nice a story, but I think their playoff hopes went down with the loss to the USA. They now have to finish up against China and Canada. The teams in front of them, especially Scotland and Noraway have easier games. Wouldn't surprise me to see both of them at 8-3. They're not dead, but they need some teams in front of them to have some losses.

It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, bevelled on the belly and a handle a human being can hold. And it may have no practical purpose in itself but it is a repository of human possibility and if it's handled just right, it will exact the kind of poetry...
Paul Gross-Men With Brooms

Most games are lost, not won!
Casey Stengel

Old Post 04-04-12 05:57PM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Wayne Middaugh was a MONSTER in canadian curling as a skip, but only for a brief time.

He didn't quite have the horses after that great run to compete with bigger monsters like Kevin Martin, Glenn Howard, Jeff Stoughton, Kerry Burtnyk & Koe. He was always raking in cash spiel money and knocking on the door in Ontario but when Howard & Hart joined forces, the writing was on the wall for middaugh.

He's been a virtual shot-stacking machine during this event. However, I wouldn't count my chickens quite yet. The ice in Basel has been tricky (to put it lightly) and if Glenn & Co. come down on the wrong side of the inch in the page games, particulary the sudden-death final they could be short a gold.

Old Post 04-04-12 06:00PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Wayne Middaugh was a MONSTER in canadian curling as a skip, but only for a brief time.

He didn't quite have the horses after that great run to compete with bigger monsters like Kevin Martin, Glenn Howard, Jeff Stoughton, Kerry Burtnyk & Koe. He was always raking in cash spiel money and knocking on the door in Ontario but when Howard & Hart joined forces, the writing was on the wall for middaugh.

He's been a virtual shot-stacking machine during this event. However, I wouldn't count my chickens quite yet. The ice in Basel has been tricky (to put it lightly) and if Glenn & Co. come down on the wrong side of the inch in the page games, particulary the sudden-death final they could be short a gold.

yep ain't it the truth , haven't anyone noticed the 'frost " start to creep in the sides of sheet, they had these mickey mouse humidifiers arranged on the sides , looking pretty absurd for a curling event such as this... nobody should be contemplating a 'easy sweep " from Howard rink, be like counting ones chickens before they hatched...

Old Post 04-04-12 09:19PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
yep ain't it the truth , haven't anyone noticed the 'frost " start to creep in the sides of sheet, they had these mickey mouse humidifiers arranged on the sides , looking pretty absurd for a curling event such as this... nobody should be contemplating a 'easy sweep " from Howard rink, be like counting ones chickens before they hatched...

I'm not sure why you guys are posting the "counting ones chickens" posts; I haven't seen a single person do this on this site. However, they know how to win and are about as strong a favorite as you'll ever find in Curling. They've literally only lost one game in around fifty.

Injury or bad ice are always a concern. Assuming neither occurs, I'm not sure which teams are playing well enough to challenge. Maybe Scotland ? China as a long shot ? Sweden and Norway are just not sharp.

Old Post 04-05-12 12:44AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

New Zealand up 6-3 playing 8. They're doin' what they need to do to stay alive.

It's forty-two pounds of polished granite, bevelled on the belly and a handle a human being can hold. And it may have no practical purpose in itself but it is a repository of human possibility and if it's handled just right, it will exact the kind of poetry...

Casey Stengel

Old Post 04-05-12 10:02AM
celtichound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for celtichound Click here to Send celtichound a Private Message Find more posts by celtichound Add celtichound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

I'm not sure why you guys are posting the "counting ones chickens" posts; I haven't seen a single person do this on this site. However, they know how to win and are about as strong a favorite as you'll ever find in Curling. They've literally only lost one game in around fifty.

Injury or bad ice are always a concern. Assuming neither occurs, I'm not sure which teams are playing well enough to challenge. Maybe Scotland ? China as a long shot ? Sweden and Norway are just not sharp.

Now that Norway has picked up their game I trust that a second encounter between the two would be much tighter. Remember that at the continental cup Thomas had Glenn beat but bad strategy allowed Glenn to get the tie

Old Post 04-05-12 10:04AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

A desperate New Zealand squad, fighting to the death for a possible tie-breaker spot are giving Howard's canucks all they can handle - in fact they're 2 up coming home, Howard has the hammer!

Game don't matter to Howard, he's clinched first place. Just a run-thru but Glenn has stated on numerous occasions that all games are important to win.

Old Post 04-05-12 10:42AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
celtichound
Swing Artist

Wow!!! Take out by Glen to score 2, 7-7 and on to an EE.k:

Casey Stengel

Old Post 04-05-12 10:49AM
celtichound
Swing Artist

Kudo's to the Kiwi's, this was a game I expected Canada to win. But give NZ full measure for the victory. They've played well, so while I'm surprised, I'm not shocked.

Casey Stengel

Old Post 04-05-12 11:10AM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Now that Norway has picked up their game I trust that a second encounter between the two would be much tighter. Remember that at the continental cup Thomas had Glenn beat but bad strategy allowed Glenn to get the tie

I don't think so. The team looked really bad earlier in the week, I highly doubt all those problems were fixed in a few days.

Old Post 04-05-12 12:15PM
Unregistered

quote:

I don't think so. The team looked really bad earlier in the week, I highly doubt all those problems were fixed in a few days.

I don't expect that all of the bugs have been worked out but you don't win 7 games in a row without figuring things out and playing better.

I don't know if Norway would win but, like I said I would definately expect a tougher match between the two.

Old Post 04-05-12 12:35PM
Lonehorseman

quote:

You are forgetting that Wayne skipped the best team in the world in the late 1990s. He was actually better back then.

Let me disagree with you on that a little bit. He skipped possibly the second best team, Martin IMO better, in the world in the late 90's. His one and only world championship as a skip came from that time period and only came after his team tanked in the first ever olympic qualifiers in the same year. Top teams in that year that beat Middaugh in the inaugural olympic qualifying spiel like Martin, Stoughton, Burtnyk, Werenich decided to concentrate on the olympics instead of going through their respective provincial playdowns. So Middaugh had an easier path to the brier and worlds that specific year, where the hardest teams he had to get by at the brier were the likes of Duguid and Hemmings, with all due respect to those said teams.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.180.201.49

Old Post 04-07-12 04:49AM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Lonehorseman

Let me disagree with you on that a little bit. He skipped possibly the second best team, Martin IMO better, in the world in the late 90's. His one and only world championship as a skip came from that time period and only came after his team tanked in the first ever olympic qualifiers in the same year. Top teams in that year that beat Middaugh in the inaugural olympic qualifying spiel like Martin, Stoughton, Burtnyk, Werenich decided to concentrate on the olympics instead of going through their respective provincial playdowns. So Middaugh had an easier path to the brier and worlds that specific year, where the hardest teams he had to get by at the brier were the likes of Duguid and Hemmings, with all due respect to those said teams.

It might be instructive to list the tour money leader each year. Those are the only events where most of the top teams play each other regularily.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-07-12 at 01:27PM

Old Post 04-07-12 01:22PM