isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Club Nationals
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chapnlie
Swing Artist

I don't think it has anything to do with someone being "too good" ... or I would have argued that Disher shouldn't be allowed in Club Nationals. But my recollection is that the Club Nationals were set up for curlers/teams not entering the National qualifiers leading to the world championship. So if you curl in one, you don't curl in the other...period.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-22-11 07:02AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't remember anyone, especially the USCA, telling me when this event was created that you had to choose one or the other. My recollection seems to remember that this event was made for everyone in order to maintain the sense of pride related to being your state's 'Champion', as well as providing a competitive outlet for anyone that may not have the time off, money, or commitment needed for the new regional qualifier format. And although that could be construed to sound like it means "choose one, not both", it was never meant to discriminate against those that have the means to do both events, nor should it.

Aside from my own competing at qualifiers, if I want to take some friends that maybe I got started in this great sport, and give them a way of feeling what it is like to compete and challenge themselves for the betterment of their curling futures, I will!!

Youngen (referring to my name, not experience)

Old Post 12-22-11 11:11AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Seriously, lets recall the National level curlers who have participated. There was Birr a couple years ago who won in Madison. Farbelow won it but I think that was before he moved to the next level. Has Discher or Larway ever compete in them?........

So unless I am wrong it is Birr and now George who have decided to take that next step back. If the Minnesotans don't mind, I guess I don't either. Maybe they should do a non scientific poll of the other 6 teams who would like to go to Mankato and see what they say.

As I stated above you guys go for it. I think most national competitors are already maxing out vacation and funds for that contest, but if yo've got the time and wallet, let er rip. Just don't win your region and not show up for the full week in Mankato.

Old Post 12-22-11 01:32PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

...and now I hear that Schneeberger will be playing in Minnesota Clubs. When is the new Minnesota deadline?

(For those new to curling, Schnee played third for the wildly successful Summerville rink a decade ago. His double kills and triple kills of guards made us all rethink the Free Guard Zone. Today, double killing some guards is a shot that even the ladies will attempt. In those days, we were all shocked. Even now, nobody has done it better than Schnee did it back then.)

Right or Wrong...Good for curling or Bad for curling...people who love curling are on both sides of the issue. But one fact has become crystal clear:

The Minnesota Mens Club Championship has gone from "Who cares" all the way to "I wish I could go and watch some of that."

Ben Tucker

Old Post 12-22-11 01:45PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Peer Seeding for GNCC

Not too surprised by these but pleasantly surprised to be 5th (was hoping for at least 6 or 7 ).

1 Petrov
2 Damon
3 Edie/Galebach
4 Machold
5 Warr
6 Baxter
7 Leneker
8 McCarthy

Old Post 12-27-11 02:15PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Seeding is not ranking. Ranking is easy. It is simply looking at who is strongest and predicting the finish.

Seeding is much harder. It is a delicate balance of predicting the finish and respect for past performances. I'm glad to see that the GNCC got it right. I'd put Machold higher, but that is just my opinion.

I need to restate my prediction that Galebach will walk through this event. They probably won't even play more than six ends in any game. (I'm mad at Scott The Saint Edie and want to double up the Curse Of Tuck effect)

So there you have it, WestMD. Consider yourself on the cover of Sports Illistrated and on the box of Madden NFL and jinxed by being picked by:

Ben Tucker

Old Post 12-30-11 12:02AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WestMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm just trying to get some games in between the early riser Seniors and Mixed

Old Post 12-30-11 10:56AM
WestMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WestMD Click here to Send WestMD a Private Message Find more posts by WestMD Add WestMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oops. I probably should edit my last post. That is not that good of a seeding job.

Baxter gets a low seed? That is Team Punk, isn't it? That would be a mistake.

Fortunately, this will be a single pool round robin...so seeding means very little.

Ben Tucker
Mad at WestMD so I double jinxed him. God, I hate that my picks are jinxed. Why do Willy's picks always win? I pick stronger teams. Is curling fixed?

Old Post 12-30-11 05:03PM
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I'm thinking we got seeded where we are because KC is a newcomer to playdowns and thus isn't known. Melvin's not really known either but he's at least done the playdowns before. Also, I'm listed in the second position on the "official" roster so there are probably teams that don't know I'm throwing last rocks. All of those may have affected the seedings, but as you say it really doesn't matter. Still have to play everyone.

Old Post 12-31-11 12:43AM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

GNCC Club Playdowns Teams will have slightly different look

With the Men's Challenge Round scheduled for the same weekend of the GNCC Club Playdowns, the entry of Team Corbett/Murray into the Challenge Round certainly changes things up for Clubs.

Team Baxter loses Sean Murray who was going to throw last rocks.
Team Petrov loses vice Mark Mooney.
Team Galebach loses Scott Edie who is now Team Corbett/Murray's alternate for the challenge round.

That's a big loss of talent for the GNCC Club Playdowns.

Best of luck to Team Corbett/Murray at the challenge round.

Old Post 01-09-12 12:35PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Swing Artist

I do not believe Corbett made the challenge round...they lost the 2nd spot in a playoff to Surka.

Has something changed?

Edit - Oh...never mind...they made it on OOM points...good for them, they deserve the shot in my view.

Last edited by AlanMacNeill on 01-09-12 at 12:47PM

Old Post 01-09-12 12:40PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Harvey Hacksmasher

A couple of teams declined the invitation - Beighton from Seattle and someone else from the heartland. The Corbett/Murray rink was next in line.

Old Post 01-09-12 12:50PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Heartland? Nope. Both teams declining were from Seattle. It's an expensive and unfunded trip for the teams from the coasts. I feel for those guys. Challenge Rounds on either coast might struggle to get 10 teams. Might? They would struggle.

Personally, I hold short saying that the Sean Murray rink "deserved" a shot at the Challenge Round. Thanks to the very well done webcast, I saw some good curlers out East...but I didn't see very much good curling. Most of the final tiebreaker was well played, however. Just not the 10th end.

I am very glad that the Potomac Qualifier will end up with two rinks at Eau Claire. Stuff like that is how we get from having good curlers to having good curling.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm sticking with my Galebach pick in the GNCC. Getting rid of The Punk from Team Baxter does make me like my pick more. I have developed a problem with the Galebach rink, but not enough to change my selection.

The problem is with how they insist that the skip and vice skip hold the broom. They have it dead vertical like a plum bob. The skip is very high with legs tight together. This is wrong.

The reason some new curlers like that style is that it allows them to focus solely on the dead center of the broom. That is weak. A good curler can focus in on a beer can two sheets away. How the skip holds the broom should be a very small distraction...as long as his body is centered dead behind the broom.

Not angling broom keeps the skip's head too high. Not angling the broom takes away the skip's ability to use the handle as a sight...like the barrel of a rifle. The straight up broom and the stiffly upright skip is flat wrong.

Edie knows all of this, but he was the addition to an existing team. Easier for him to adjust than the others. Still, he knows it is wrong and it must have been very uncomfortable to do it. Must be a very nice guy.

Ben Tucker
Loving playdowns...wish I could play

Last edited by tuck on 01-09-12 at 02:06PM

Old Post 01-09-12 02:01PM
AlanMacNeill
Swing Artist

Galebach's counter to your opinion on the holding of the broom (trust me, I know...we've had multiple....discussions....on this...as I throw 2nd on one of his club teams and have had to hold the broom for him on occasion) is that by holding the broom vertical (and by having it be the purest white handle), the shooter can see a reflection in the ice of the handle, which he can use almost laserlike to aim his shot.

Note, if you would please, that I said that was Galebach's counter...not mine...also note that when I skip, I use a blue handled broom held somewhat angled...read into that what you will

Something else to note though...Murray/Corbett going to Challenge costs Galebach the services of Edie at Club Nats playdowns. It's unclear to me who is filling that spot.

There was good curling and bad curling this past weekend. All told though, I think we've sent three good teams on. No doubt that McCormick was the class of the qualifier...although both Surka and Corbett/Murray gave them hard games.

Old Post 01-09-12 02:21PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MS->Potomac
Knee-Slider

Ben, the broom holding position thing is a huge source of entertainment (or frustration, depending on your perspective) at our club. I'm glad that you picked up on it. Must be that awesome web coverage. **end shameless plug**

Edie, Mooney and Murray are a huge loss of talent for the GNCC event. I'd throw lead on a team with those three any day.

If I understand the rules, since Edie is signed up as Galebach's fifth and is no longer available, that rink will need to withdraw. That is assuming their 4th is still out.

I expect (hope?) Petrov has a backup plan. We (Team Baxter) are planning to reload and show up ready to play. See you next weekend gentlemen.

- Melvin

Old Post 01-09-12 03:04PM
MS->Potomac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MS->Potomac Click here to Send MS->Potomac a Private Message Find more posts by MS->Potomac Add MS->Potomac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Really depends on whether or not Galebach signed Edie up officially or intended to add him as a 5th player at the playdowns weekend which can be done at any time. Once you have officially added a 5th, however, it cannot be changed.

I'm bringing a 5th, Tim Brooks, to the playdown but he is not on the roster yet. I will add him at the event itself by updating the official roster forms.

Last edited by WarrMachine on 01-09-12 at 03:29PM

Old Post 01-09-12 03:24PM
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I don't mind Tuck's assessment that it's a stretch to say that we "deserved" a spot in the challenge round. That said, what happened has happened, we were offered the spot and jumped at the opportunity. Mike and Mark have never been to a challenge round at all; I've been once before but at second, not skip; all of us want the experience. There's no question we'll have to be at our very best to have a shot of advancing to Philly, but at least we have that shot.

I do feel bad about having to back out from team Baxter, but we all knew it was entirely possible and planned accordingly. We never declared a fifth and I'm sure David, Melvin, and KC can find someone who will work. They've also said that, should they qualify to Club Nationals, I would still be welcome to join them there.

I should also mention that, even if we didn't get the berth, I was likely still headed to the challenge round. One of the members of Derek's team can't make it out to Wisconsin and after our game ended last night, they asked me if I would play. Had the berth for our team not been offered, I probably would've been joining them. I guess the fates had it in for me this time around.

Good luck to everyone heading to Cape Cod!

Last edited by SPMFromPCC on 01-09-12 at 04:01PM

Old Post 01-09-12 03:57PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MS->Potomac
Knee-Slider

Good point. I was going off of the peer seeding ballot, which had 5 listed for Edie/Galebach. We'll see what happens.

Old Post 01-09-12 04:08PM
MS->Potomac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MS->Potomac Click here to Send MS->Potomac a Private Message Find more posts by MS->Potomac Add MS->Potomac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Galebach registered 5, now down to 3 so they are toast. I guess they can ask the USCA if they could add a sixth. You must start the event with 4 registered players. So, if the other guy they lost wants to drive to Cape Cod and throw one rock they would be fine. Then Scott could come back for Nationals if they made it.

JH
I hear things

Old Post 01-09-12 04:23PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Rumor has it that Petrov already got his Mooney replacement lined up -- an **extremely** skilled Plainfield curler for whom a trip to the challenge round would have been a highly unlikely result of this past weekend.

Old Post 01-09-12 04:30PM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I really sorry about the Galebach rink not being able to compete. From what little I've heard about him and what little I have seen, he looks like a truly devoted curler with some talent.

The Curse Of Tuck is one thing...but he didn't even get a chance to play. That sucks. Maybe there should be some sort of "voluntary withdrawl" form so that we can fill these teams.

As far as holding the broom to hope for a reflection, it dismisses the importance of the skip's ability to accurately read the rock upon release. Mr. Galebach has my blessing to play whatever way he enjoys. Younger players in the Potomac club or watching on the webcast, however, do not have that blessing. Correct skip posture is basic, fundemental, elementary and important.

Ben Tucker
Need to pick a new GNCC Club champ...the Curse lives

Old Post 01-09-12 04:39PM
AlanMacNeill
Swing Artist

I believe that in the *spirit* of the "5 man" rule, Galebach should be allowed to name a replacement for Edie (or his original fourth who isn't available due to injury, as I understand it).

The rule is meant to keep a team from "Cherry Picking" the best of the playdowns players and building an all star team to go to the next level. That's not what's happening here.

Because the USCA has crossscheduled events, a player who was not expecting to qualify for both found himself in a situation where he has...he hasn't played a single stone for the Galebach Club Playdowns rink, he just is a name on a form.

Equity says an appeal to nominate a replacement (assuming Galebach can find a suitable one) should be allowed. It's not Galebach's fault he is in the situation he is in, he should not be the one penalized for a situation he got no gain out of.

Old Post 01-09-12 04:49PM
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

If that is true about Galebach's team then that truly sucks. Not fair at all.

So, sounds like a certain Fit to Curl guy will be joining Petrov then Wow, really good we seeded that team number 1.

Old Post 01-09-12 04:49PM
mr. lucky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Must have picked up the broom position from the new 5 Elements (know the shot, feel the shot, finish the shot) Book.

Dave

Feeling fairly glib today

Old Post 01-09-12 04:50PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deemac
Knee-Slider

Important to note that USCA didn't schedule the Eastern Club play downs, the GNCC did. Other regions play on different weekends. And if Galebach truly registered Edie as his fifth, that was an error in judgement. Just asking the fates to fulfill the curse of the Tuck.

Old Post 01-09-12 05:20PM
deemac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deemac Click here to Send deemac a Private Message Find more posts by deemac Add deemac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote