isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Stoughton cuts Gould
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Keon
Hitting Paint

This can't be considered a huge surprise. The days of "older" front end players are gone. Going forward in elite curling, I doubt we'll see many leads or seconds past their early to mid 30s (unless they skip or hold the broom). The demands of being an elite sweeper make the front end positions for the young. Backend players have a longer "shelf life" and can continue playing at the elite level into their mid 40s (see Martin, Stoughton, Howard).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-12 05:22PM
Keon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keon Click here to Send Keon a Private Message Find more posts by Keon Add Keon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Keon
This can't be considered a huge surprise. The days of "older" front end players are gone. Going forward in elite curling, I doubt we'll see many leads or seconds past their early to mid 30s (unless they skip or hold the broom). The demands of being an elite sweeper make the front end positions for the young. Backend players have a longer "shelf life" and can continue playing at the elite level into their mid 40s (see Martin, Stoughton, Howard).

Thats probably the thought process Stoughty went thru - he'll be a senior (51) by olympic year and Stevie G is up there as well, Jonny Mead is no spring chicken either. The only guy still in his 20s (late 20s, almost 30) is Carruthers.

Stoughton better hope that Howard (53 for Oly trials), Koe or Martin don't heat up prior to the trials - cuz then the cutting of Gould is just a moot point!

Old Post 03-05-12 05:42PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Who was Stoughtons fifth at the last couple Briers?

Old Post 03-05-12 05:45PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Who was Stoughtons fifth at the last couple Briers?

I may be wrong but I think it was Garth Smith.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.112.217.79

Old Post 03-05-12 05:53PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Interesting decision. I wonder if they discussed the funding (last year was a funding year right??) issue in the form of a buyout or something like that. Apparently Gould couldn't be reached for comment according to the TSN article. Thank God at least they weren't "Team Canada" at the Brier! Uh oh...

JH

Old Post 03-05-12 06:00PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Maybe this explains why Stoughton seemed so out of sorts in the Manitoba championships.

Old Post 03-05-12 06:03PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho
Interesting decision. I wonder if they discussed the funding (last year was a funding year right??) issue in the form of a buyout or something like that. Apparently Gould couldn't be reached for comment according to the TSN article. Thank God at least they weren't "Team Canada" at the Brier! Uh oh...

JH

Mentions a funding agreement in this article
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-141437673.html

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.103.29

Old Post 03-05-12 06:12PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Better yet, don't make a comment like that. All these curlers have families and jobs. Speculation on their personal lives can be very damaging and has no place here.

I agree with every word of your post but don't expect the slanderous comments to stop. Unfortunately, some posters just don't care.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.112.217.79

Old Post 03-05-12 06:23PM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I heard murmurs of alcoholism, wonder if that had anything to do with Gould's release? I did notice he said he didn't want to air any dirty laundry

and where did they come from?

Old Post 03-05-12 06:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Mentions a funding agreement in this article
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-141437673.html

That's good to hear. He does deserve it!

JH

Old Post 03-05-12 06:49PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Might not be so far off with Daley Peters. A couple people "in-the-know" here at the Brier brought his name up as a possibility too. Might throw heat, but he's also a skip, so he must have at least a little draw touch.

As for Carruthers moving to lead, can't see it happening as he's settled in nicely and I would put him into the elite 2nd category. No point Stoughton messing with that.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-05-12 07:12PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Stoughton better hope that Howard (53 for Oly trials), Koe or Martin don't heat up prior to the trials - cuz then the cutting of Gould is just a moot point!

Stoughton is fully capable of beating any of those playing well if he himself is on his team and his team are clicking.

Old Post 03-05-12 08:04PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Hitting Paint

All the best to Steve. There aren't as many guys who love the game as much as steve, he'll have no problem getting a team. Time for him to play back end, now.

I think Jeff needs to make his team taller . (lol)

Old Post 03-05-12 08:49PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Mead says they tried to keep it quiet til after the brier.... Steve says he wants to keep the dirty laundry witin the team.... Must be a story here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

Old Post 03-05-12 09:23PM
coorsman
Swing Artist

Nice twist on the story by some greasy media people reminding everyone that the one time Stoughton did not bring home the gold for Canada was the one time he didn't have Gould by his side. What they really ought to take notice of is that was 1999, and this is 2012 (with Sochi being another 2 years from now). I love Stevie, but I kinda predicted this move was coming about 1.5 years ago. Front End players have evolved to be much younger. Stevie would be by far the oldest of all of them as far as top teams are concerned by quite a wide margin. He should be happy he lasted as long as he did (longer than anyone else I recall in recent memory). Let's face it, in today's game you have to be able to do better than a light dusting when your skip yells "hard" (like Bert Gretzinger used to do when he played for Rock Folk.... Today is Rock Folk's birthday btw... Nothing against Bert - a great skip, not the best sweeper, it's funny to watch if you've seen it)

Old Post 03-05-12 11:36PM
coorsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coorsman Click here to Send coorsman a Private Message Find more posts by coorsman Add coorsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

yeah, i know but with jeff admitting himself that the end is near for his curling career i thought he'd end it with steve.

I vote Chris Galbraith...he is an awesome culrer and so knowledgeable!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.71.22.125

Old Post 03-06-12 12:01AM
icehog
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think Stoughton just realized that the only reason Martin has won anything in the last five years has little to do with his throwing and everything to do with his front end's sweeping. And I'm sure having Hebert fill in only magnified the magic a good front end can do for you. (However, seems lately Martin's front end must be getting a little tired of having to hammer every rock her throws because they aren't winning a thing).

As far as comparing this to Jones, there is no comparison. Jeff waited until the end of the season and is not currently team Canada so I don't see what the problem is. This is the time of year all teams do their shuffling. The only time I would personally not change players at this point of a season is if we had qualified together for a major event in the future (i.e. national or worlds, olympic berth)

Old Post 03-06-12 12:29AM
icehog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icehog Click here to Send icehog a Private Message Find more posts by icehog Add icehog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Just a random thought here. I think that Brent Laing may be a candidate for Stoughtons new lead. Think about it. If he and JJ are an item, then perhaps a move is upcoming soon for Mr. Laing? A possibility?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.77.40.223

Old Post 03-06-12 01:46AM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Just a random thought here. I think that Brent Laing may be a candidate for Stoughtons new lead. Think about it. If he and JJ are an item, then perhaps a move is upcoming soon for Mr. Laing? A possibility?

No way that team doesn't play up until the trials with Howard. After though, who knows???

JH

Old Post 03-06-12 07:17AM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by icehog

As far as comparing this to Jones, there is no comparison. Jeff waited until the end of the season and is not currently team Canada so I don't see what the problem is. This is the time of year all teams do their shuffling. The only time I would personally not change players at this point of a season is if we had qualified together for a major event in the future (i.e. national or worlds, olympic berth)

It is really not the end of the season. There are two huge cashspiels left with big $ at stake.

Old Post 03-06-12 07:23AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
I think that Brent Laing may be a candidate for Stoughtons new lead.

If Brent does come to Manitoba to be Jeffs new lead, will JJ get more "crap"? :-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.169.124

Old Post 03-06-12 08:15AM
the yap
Harvey Hacksmasher

Location: down the street from psychotic right next to oblivious

Possible candidates?

Manitoba Grown
Daley Peters
Tyler Forrest
Alex Forrest
Joey Witherspoon
David Kraichy
Taren Gesell
Brendan Taylor

Outside Manitoba
Brent Laing - doubtful...especially if they lock up the trials spot this year.
Kirk Muyres
Dustin Kidby
Matt Ng
JD Lind
Ryan Fry
Scott Howard
Brandon Klassen

If an outsider...how long before the season would a player need to move to Manitoba and declare residency?

Old Post 03-06-12 09:47AM
the yap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for the yap Click here to Send the yap a Private Message Find more posts by the yap Add the yap to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by the yap
Possible candidates?

Manitoba Grown
Daley Peters
Tyler Forrest
Alex Forrest
Joey Witherspoon
David Kraichy
Taren Gesell
Brendan Taylor

Outside Manitoba
Brent Laing - doubtful...especially if they lock up the trials spot this year.
Kirk Muyres
Dustin Kidby
Matt Ng
JD Lind
Ryan Fry
Scott Howard
Brandon Klassen

If an outsider...how long before the season would a player need to move to Manitoba and declare residency?

laing is a most definate no

i think ng and lind are also definate no's because i think they plan to bring charlie to skip and pick up where brock left off

scott howard..i dont think he's very likely either. he seems pretty committed to playing with john epping

of the ones you named in manitoba i think joey witherspoon might actually be a really good guess. If jeff decides he wants some youth on his team. Daley peters seems to be a good guess too. I think he might be put to best use on any team though where he can play hits. He obviously has a draw game but he's a really good hitter and for anyone who might bring him on i think it would make best use of his talents where he could play more upweight shots

Last edited by misty1 on 03-06-12 at 09:57AM

Old Post 03-06-12 09:55AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

0 percent chance its daley or galbraith

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.73.72.219

Old Post 03-06-12 10:23AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

I agree with every word of your post but don't expect the slanderous comments to stop. Unfortunately, some posters just don't care.

Just another warning, but IP Address bans are now being handed out and if I catch anyone posting slanderous comments and insults, they will be given a vacation from this site and any CurlingZone network site for the rest of the season.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 03-06-12 10:30AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote