isMobile: 0 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/sidepolls.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/sidepolls.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 835 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/create_frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 872 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/frontthreads_xml.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/dev/global.php on line 873 CurlingZone - Worlds-USA
Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
CurlingZone Mobile App Now Free!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

As much as I wanted to see a USA vs Canada final - I think we may have to wait for Sochi...at 2-6, I don't think the USA will make the playoffs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-04-12 10:47AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

Unhappy

Fork please.....

Old Post 04-04-12 10:48AM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's still not over! USA just needs to win their last 3 and have 9 other games go the right way and they could end up in a 5 way tie for 4th!

No problem!

Old Post 04-04-12 11:15AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

Seventy two percent against the 77% shooting Swiss and another loss. In what was a turning point, in the eighth a draw for one comes up 3 feet short.

The current open system isn't providing results. I realize we have been in disarray for 5 years, but this is the team who was 19-0 in our playoff system. What was their WCT results?

We need a way to put "World Ready" curlers on the ice. These results show that just because a team knows how to beat Fenson three times doesn't mean they are ready to go to go to the next level.

Last edited by biterbar on 04-04-12 at 11:34AM

Old Post 04-04-12 11:24AM
biterbar is online now Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peglegg
Harvey Hacksmasher

They beat some good teams on the bonspiel circuit but the problem is not with this team in particular it is a reflection of competitive curling in he US, it is just not at the highest level right now.

Old Post 04-04-12 12:02PM
peglegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peglegg Find more posts by peglegg Add peglegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MNIceman
It's still not over! USA just needs to win their last 3 and have 9 other games go the right way and they could end up in a 5 way tie for 4th!No problem!

I admire your optimism, Bud!

At what point did you realize the Twins were not going to make the AL playoffs last season?

Old Post 04-04-12 12:12PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

I admire your optimism, Bud!

At what point did you realize the Twins were not going to make the AL playoffs last season?

That's just Willy's optimism rubbing off on me

To answer your question, spring training. Just like this season. Oh, I should note I'm really from WI so more of a Brewer fan

Old Post 04-04-12 12:32PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Plastic Fork

It didn't do much damage just scratched Da Kings cornea. Disappointed would be understating it, I'm sure the guys are hurting, but they are National Champions and at the Worlds nobody else is. That being said, I don't see an Olympic Trials with our top 5 teams resulting in Medals. Fund an Olympic team, end of story. No jobs, no girlfriends, no life, just curling. Play every week in Canada, practice every week where-ever. Here's my top 10. Plys,Fenson,George,Dropkin, Da King (Heater) Brownie, Dr. Double ( on passion alone ) Tim Sommerville ( ) Clark, a Larway, Shuster (minus a few pounds). and invite 15 or 20 others. I realize you need a front end thats why you invite Polo, Rojeski, and others. The handwriting is on the wall, its not to late for Russia.

Old Post 04-04-12 12:33PM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Biterbar

My point in the earlier post was not to point out the disarray the last few years but rather that we had a successful program in the recent past without a selection process

Old Post 04-04-12 01:02PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

Lot of unnecessary panic here...

The boys are not playing up to their potential, but it's their first trip to the big show. They got off to a rough start and never fully recovered.

This rink hasn't had the international experience of some of our other teams, and it's showing. I don't necessarily think that's the end of the world, it might make them that much hungrier to make it back next year. That would be good.

I only watched their game against Canada, and they clearly weren't playing with the same confidence level as in Philly, and it showed in the results. But experience is a great teacher, and I for one think this team will be that much tougher next year. A winning team is as much about chemistry and confidence as anything, and there is no guarantee you would find that in a handpicked representative.

Old Post 04-04-12 01:15PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

Success might be an overstatement as far as Men's Worlds is concerned.

Since back to back to back bronzes in '91, '92, '93 the USA has had one bronze by Birr in 2007 at the World Championships. Yes, and a bronze at the Olympics. Since 2000 we have finished 6th, 4th, 8th, 9th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 7th , 5th, 4th, 10th and sit 10th currently.

One bronze in 20 years points to a needed change in my mind. We have top 3 potential at every worlds, they just aren't playing together.

Old Post 04-04-12 01:17PM
biterbar is online now Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mr. lucky
Disagree

The USCA just made a mistake when Higgins was allowed to bulldoze a program that was on the upswing. Just look at what was achieved on the world scene the five years prior to his arrival.

Debbie’s gold, Pete’s bronze, a great showing by Birr. Cassie’s junior gold, Ply’s gold, Eileen’s bronze and a great showing by Perko. Who did I miss?

After…

Ed’s gone, Lynita defunded, Coaching program non-existent. People alienated. But by gosh, we do have a book.

Hopefully Derek Brown can turn things around, but it would have been a lot easier for him if he wasn’t starting from scratch.

Corrections/Additions: Aileen S. didn't get bronze in Eveleth (2007). Fourth place. But Carlson did get bronze in Switzerland (2010). And Plys had Gold (2008) and Bronze(2009). Cassie had Gold and Silver in Juniors, and also a Silver at Women's Worlds, right? Birr had Bronze.

We generally seem to have at least one (men or women) competitive team at Junior Worlds. But the talent pool becomes much larger once you get past Juniors...

Old Post 04-04-12 01:33PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Since back to back to back bronzes in '91, '92, '93 the USA has had one bronze by Birr in 2007 at the World Championships. Yes, and a bronze at the Olympics. Since 2000 we have finished 6th, 4th, 8th, 9th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 7th , 5th, 4th, 10th and sit 10th currently.

One bronze in 20 years points to a needed change in my mind. We have top 3 potential at every worlds, they just aren't playing together.

Now that's a stat that makes ya think... (heavy sigh)

Old Post 04-04-12 01:40PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Aileen did win a junior bronze but it was in 2003 or 04. Thanks for the additions.

Old Post 04-04-12 01:50PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

The USA glory years were 1961-1972 when they won a medal 11 out of 12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Men's_Curling_Championship

Old Post 04-04-12 01:54PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Yes, the US won a bronze a few years ago at the worlds but they didn't win it outright because the way the rules were written back then. They finished 2nd in the RR which gave them an automatic bronze, even if they lost the 1vs2 and semi (which they did). Today, you have to win the bronze in a direct match.

Alas, what I've said in years past I'll say today: 34 years and counting. And the beat goes on.

Better luck next year or it's an air flight to a special qualifier tournament.

Old Post 04-04-12 08:12PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

the US will win again at some point, I do believe that. I think for the men the best shot that the US has is Chris Plys. Whether or not that means that he does it with Tyler George or another team but I believe he is going to do good things for the US in this sport

Old Post 04-04-12 08:51PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Hitting Paint

McCormick, Plys, George and Brown? (in no particular order)

Old Post 04-04-12 10:29PM
Willy
Drawmaster

Howard=13-0

quote:

Besides Plys can any of them sweep?

Howard and the boys have definitely been strutting thier stuff, now they get to start eliminating teams. New Zealand, see you later. China, Thanks for coming. Of course if Sweden can't beat the lousy Germans, then 3 teams are 6-5 ( who said 6-5 had a chance) How many Canadian teams would go 13-0 in this field, probably a bunch ( Koe and Martin for sure ). Maybe to make the Worlds more interesting we should give Canada 2 spots?

Old Post 04-05-12 07:16AM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I dont know about that. I hvae said before that I think to many junior teams that were great break up. I think that, with time Chris's junior team of 08/09 could have eventually been the next great american team.It is to bad that not all of them wanted to continue with curling after the juniors however I see that 3/4 of them are so why not stick together?

Old Post 04-05-12 07:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Swing Artist

Re: Howard=13-0

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
How many Canadian teams would go 13-0 in this field, probably a bunch ( Koe and Martin for sure ).

Not Howard.

Old Post 04-05-12 11:39AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hooper
Swing Artist

So if I read things right, a US win will guarantee them at least 4 points (maybe 5 with a France loss), but a US loss sets up a very real possibility that they finish dead last in the standings. That would put huge pressure on the '13 world's team to do well and avoid the remedial tournament.

Old Post 04-05-12 11:49AM
Hooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hooper Click here to Send Hooper a Private Message Find more posts by Hooper Add Hooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Yes, as high as 7th or as low as 12th. No matter the finish, looks like next year the US needs to make the playoffs to avoid that Oly qualifier.

Old Post 04-05-12 01:00PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Howard=13-0

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Not Howard.

Maybe they will let China win also, 1-2 game wraped up guess they just don't have any pride, But hey Howard and O'Canada are Da real Kings and can do as they please. Personally I'll be pulling for Brewster or Ulsrud. What about the Kiwi's? Please spare me.

Old Post 04-05-12 01:50PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Howard=13-0

quote:
Originally posted by Willy

Maybe they will let China win also, 1-2 game wraped up guess they just don't have any pride, But hey Howard and O'Canada are Da real Kings and can do as they please. Personally I'll be pulling for Brewster or Ulsrud. What about the Kiwi's? Please spare me.

You do know that your national champion skip is one of hundreds of Curlers who were ambushed along the way as Howard won a record 7 Ontario titles in a row ?

In general, nobody was even close to knocking them off.

Old Post 04-05-12 02:27PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote